Tuesday, November 13

dogville--a movie review

seen it?
wow.
i'm certain it's been embedded in my memory forever.
brilliant symbolism.
highly disturbing, highly convicting, definitely a movie you feel, but provokes some intense thought.
anyway, here's a clip of the script:

Grace: So, I'm arrogant. I'm arrogant because l forgive people?



Boss: My God! Can't you see how condescending you are when you say that? You have this preconceived notion that nobody, listen, that nobody can possibly attain the same high ethical standards as you, so you exonerate them. I can not think of anything more arrogant than that.
You, my child, my dear child, you forgive others with excuses that you would never in the world permit for yourself.



Grace: Why shouldn't l be merciful? Why?



Boss: No, no, no You should, you should be merciful...when there is time to be merciful. But you must maintain your own standard. You owe them that.
The penalty you deserve for your transgressions, they deserve for their transgressions.



Grace: They are human beings.



Boss: Does every human being need to be accountable for their actions?



Grace: Of course they do.



Boss: But you don't even give them that chance. And that is extremely arrogant.

----------
i'm pretty obsessed with grace (not the character), so this movie threw me a little.
where's the line drawn when grace is taken advantage of? with us and with God.

man...

perhaps a part 2 later...

1 comment:

julie p said...

Wow....now that's a million dollar question. ummmm...in my very weak understanding of grace, i believe that God draws no line--only we as sinful humans cling to the idea of "fairness." No doubt God is just--but His justice functions far above my understanding.